On December 10, 2015 a new Federal education law was signed by the President. This law, the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), requires schools that receive federal Title IA funding adopt written procedures for resolving complaints filed.
A “complaint” is a written, signed statement filed by an individual or an organization. It must include:
Complaint Resolution Procedures
∙ Referral – Complaints against schools should be referred to the District’s Central Office:
Mr. John Kimmel, Superintendent
354 Baker Street, Suite 2
Rimersburg, PA 16248
2) Notice to School – The Federal Programs Director will notify the school Superintendent and Building Principal that a complaint has been received. A copy of the complaint will be given to the Superintendent and Building Principal with directions given for the Principal to respond.
3) Investigation – After receiving the Principal’s response, the Central Office, along with the Superintendent, will determine whether further investigation is necessary. If necessary, the Federal Programs Director and the Superintendent may do an onsite investigation at the school.
4) Opportunity to Present Evidence – The Federal Programs Director may provide for the complainant and the Principal to present evidence.
5) Report and Recommended Resolution – Once the Federal Programs Director has completed the investigation and collected evidence, a report will be prepared with a recommendation for
resolving the complaint. The report will give the name of the party bringing the complaint, the nature of the complaint, a summary of the investigation, the recommended resolution and the reasons for the recommendation. Copies of the report will be issued to all parties involved. The recommended resolution will become effective upon issuance of the report.
6) Follow up – The Federal Programs Director and the Superintendent will ensure that the resolution of the complaint is implemented.
7) Time Limit – The period between the Federal Programs Director receiving the complaint and resolution of the complaint shall not exceed sixty (60) calendar days.
8) Right to Appeal – Either party may appeal the final resolution to the Department of Education. Appeals should be addressed as follows:
Ms. Susan McCrone, Chief
Division of Federal Programs
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street, 7th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126‐0333